Morellino di Scansano D.O.C.G. is one of the wine flagship of Maremma, a geographic region set between Tuscany and Lazio, Italy. There soils are sandy, richer in minerals and the terrain flows down from the hill of Scansano (more than 500 meters) to the valley of Alberese, and then dives into the Tyrrhenian Sea.
The warm climate and the scarce rains are excellent for a proper maturation of Sangiovese, which composes at least 85% of Morellino di Scansano wine. The other 15% of the blend can be completed with either canaiolo, colorino, ciliegiolo, merlot, or with the rare alicante bouschet.
Morellino di Scansano D.O.C.G. is produced in two variants:
- the so called vini d’annata, which reflect the local tradition, often with a local blend and steel made. Perfect to taste the freshness and fruitiness of Sangiovese;
- and vini d’annata evoluti, complex wines made with pure Sangiovese or with very high percentages. Furthermore, the best are those with a longer maceration and at least 12 months aged in barriques.
- Grapevine: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot 15%.
- Harvest: Half of October, mechanic harvested, but hand selected depending on the ripening.
- Winemaking: De-stemming and crushing right after – Check fermentation at 25°C
- Average maceration time: around 15 days – Malolactic fermentation: on November, steel.
- Refinement: stainless steel for 5 – 6 months.
- Characteristics of wine: At sight is purple red. The scent is delicate, which reminds small red fruits that gets more and more intense at higher serving temperature; with a lightly balsamic tail. To the palate it is dry, fresh and fruity, with an good tannicity. Serve between 16°C – 17°C.
- Pairings: Cinta Senese DOP salami or Ragu, semi-aged cheeses like Vezzena.
There are no reviews yet.