Vezzena is a high pasture cheese made in Trentino region in Italy. The milk must be raw cow’s milk only, skimmed and coming from just one milking. However, silages for animal feeding are not allowed.
Vezzena is historically strictly related to high pasture production in Trentino; in fact, it is associated, in people’s minds, to the cheese of mountain, malga, to a traditionally genuine way of producing.
All the cheese wheels of Vezzena are branded on the heel, and according to the ripening time is called differently: “Mezzano” when is 4 months old, “Vecchio“ at 8 months and “Stravecchio” at 18 months.
We have selected Vezzena “Vecchio” because it is the most balanced in terms of taste, not too mild as the “Mezzano” nor too spicy as the “Stravecchio”.
The whole wheel weights around 7.5 kg, but we offer you a piece weighting 350 g.
- Taste: spicy, strong and persistent.
- Scent: intense, almost pungent, but very ivinting with notes of pasture herbs.
- Outer appearance: dark yellow with straight stripes on the heel rind (not edible).
- Inner appearance: hard, compact, dark yellow colored and with few little and homogeneus holes.
Our suggestion for:
- Food pairings: as it is, Abbamele, Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena DOP – Affinato.
- Alcoholic pairings: a good red wine like Barbera d’Alba D.O.C., Rosso Veronese IGT, or an intense beer like Val-Dieu Grand Cru.
How to prepare for serving: remove the outer plastic skin, let heat at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving along with the suggested pairings.