Barolo Chinato is a flavored wine, obtained from a base wine with at least 10% of alcohol, in this case Barolo D.O.C.G.
Then, depending on the type, flavored wines are added with:
- ethyl alcohol or acquavite: to encrease the alcoholic grade;
- sugar: to give sweetness, encrease the concinstency, exalt aromas and soften possible bitter flavors due to some herbs;
- extract or infusions of herbs and spices, such as cinnamon, mace, coriander, nutmeg, sage, bitter orange bark, cinchona, rhubarb, tyme, veronica and many more, but above all absinthe (in German wermut), to give aromas and flavors.
Then, the obtained wine is stabilized, cleared and filtrated to make it perfectly bright. Usually, after a fining of 6 or 12 months the wine is ready to be bottled and sold.
- Grapevine: Nebbiolo 100%. Sugar, alcohol and natural aromas of cinchona are added.
- Harvest: Half or end of October, hand harvested.
- Winemaking: De-stemming and crushing – Check fermentation at 28°C
- Average maceration time: around 15 days – Malolactic fermentation: on November, steel/wood.
- Refinement: barrique, traditional method – Bottling
- Characteristics of wine: At sight is bright red with orange shades, more and more visible when aged. The scent is elegant, with rose and violet aromas, fruity raspberries and wild strawberries and then jam, vanilla and leather. To the palate it is dry, warm and intense with an excellent tannicity. Serve between 18°C – 20°C.
- Pairings: cocoa based dessert, bonbon or fine chocolate bars.
There are no reviews yet.