Tabaccaio cheese is made from only Italian raw cow’s milk, aged for about 24 months and refined inside Kentucky tobacco leaves coming from Italian farmings. This is the only type of tobacco used for the production for Tuscan cigars. The Kentucky species is a difficult variety to farm due to the making process and the essential quality labor. The drying is done by smoking, burning special breech woods that penetrate slowly inside the leaves. This process will give a particular aroma and the right brownish color both to the tobacco and the cheese.
- Taste: strong, spicy, smoked and lasting.
- Scent: smoked with tobacco notes.
- Outer appearance: rind covered with tobacco leaves (not edible).
- Inner appearance: semi-hard and homogeneous, with few little holes.
Our suggestion for:
- Food pairings: Beer jelly, Ragu of Boar Meat, Abbamele.
- Alcoholic pairings: Val-Dieu Grand Cru, Grappa di Morellino di Scansano D.O.C.G., Pedro Ximenéz, Rum Añejo.
How to prepare for serving: remove the outer plastic skin, let heat at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving along with the suggested pairings.