It may seem like a bizar pairing, but it is actually good! In fact, an old Italian saying keeps reminding us since the 16th Century to: “al contadino non far sapere quant’è buono il formaggio con le pere“, which means “do not let the farmer know how good is the cheese with pears”.
This pecorino cheese is the expression of the Tuscan dairy art, which uses secrets and ancient handmade skills to mix ewe’s pasteurized milk, salt, rennet and pears’ lyophilized juice and create this particular product. The aging is at least of 60 days. In this way the cheese becomes hard and compact, with a slightly fruity taste, lactic, but never sweet.
This, in fact, might be just enough for… a noble meal!
We have selected this pecorino with pears because it is a quite unique cheese, it reminds us our traditions and our grandparents’ sayings.
The whole wheel weights around 1.3 kg, but we offer you half a wheel weighting 500 g or a quarter weighting 250 g.
- Taste: lactic, intense, with notes of pear.
- Scent: delicate, very ivinting with notes of ewe’s milk and pear.
- Outer appearance: dark browinsh color and a rough rind (not edible).
- Inner appearance: hard, compact, ivory white colored and without holes.
Our suggestion for:
- Food pairings: as it is, Pera Angelica jam, or simply with some slices of pear.
- Alcoholic pairings: a sparkling wine like Prosecco D.O.C.G. Brut is enough.
How to prepare for serving: remove the outer plastic skin, let heat at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving along with the suggested pairings.