Recioto della Valpolicella D.O.C.G. is one of the most ancient wines of Italy. It can be traced to Vino Retico, a sweet wine made more than 2,000 years ago from dried grapes. Another clue that can prove its long age, appears in the 6th century, when Cassidoro, ministry and enologist of King Teodorico, praised Acinatico, another ancestor of Recioto.
An attribute to define Recioto della Valpolicella D.O.C.G. is: velvety; due to a strict selection of grapes and the 4 months of drying on arele (wooden tables) only on hills, in order to take advantage of a better ventilation and lower humidity. Its sweet juice will make a wine rich in perfumes: red fruit jams, spices, and even cocoa and licorice. Excellent wine to pair with chocolate desserts and some raspberries mousse.
- Grapevine: Corvina Veronese, Rondinella.
- Winemaking: After the harvest, the grapes are dried for 4 months, with a water loss of at least 40% – fermentation at checked temperature of 18°C – 22°C.
- Average maceration time: around 12 days.
- Refinement: Aged in wood barriques for at least 1 year.
- Characteristics of wine: at sight is a nice intense ruby red. The scents are delicate notes of blackberries jam with some spicy shades. Very elegant to the palate, with a nice body.
- Serving Temperature: between 18° – 20°C.
- Pairings: Blue cheeses, dry, chocolate and red fruit pastries.